Friday, March 21, 2008

Medical Woes...

I haven't been able to update for a while for several reasons.

First, I nearly passed out in the ER at work last Friday night. I guess I picked the right place to do it. But I insisted that I was fine and continued on working. Thankfully we were not busy, because looking back, I don't know how I would have made it if we were.

The next morning I began bleeding profusely so Nate thought it would be a good idea since I had the near fainting the night before to just go get check in the ER.

Now in my community we have 2 hospitals. One that has a horrid reputation and I wouldn't let my ex husband go to, let alone me. And the other has been on a steady decline over the past few months. Luckily (or so I thought) we have a world renowned Medical Center just 40 min north in the chocolate land, Hershey. I won't go back there again.

We drive up there, I was "gushing" (sorry to be so graphic) the whole way to sign in at triage. Here I am, a female of child bearing age with a chief complaint of vaginal bleeding, passing clots last period of oh, say 8 weeks ago. And abdominal pain. Hmmmm. Now I am not saying that I was having a miscarriage, but please people, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that something might be really wrong here. So they mosey me on back, stick me in a hallway bed and Nate reassures me that when they do my pelvic exam they would move me into a room. Okay.

So, after 45 minutes and me going up to the nursing station TWICE to get a new pad because I flooded mine, a nurse came to my bed to ask me what's going on. So I explained the situation. My urine came back that I had a UTI. Interesting since I wasn't complaining of UTI symptoms, so I figured that would be a bonus. But to my dismay, the tunnel vision glasses went on everyone and after explaining to the resident physician exactly what was going on all she said was..."well, you do have a UTI." Thanks. I was already told. Nothing was ordered. Nothing was done. About an hour later a nurse comes around with a pill antibiotic for my UTI.

Then about an hour after that the attending physician came over to me, asked me what was going on. I explained now like a 5th time my situation. She hardly even touched me when she "pressed" on my abdomen asking "does this hurt?" I felt like asking her when was she going to palpate me to find out. Then she explains to me that unless my urine comes back positive for a pregnancy there is nothing to be done. I explain that I have a substantial hx of endometriosis, I had a ruptured cyst about 2 months ago...something could be going on here. She didn't even want to run blood work let alone a pelvic exam or an ultrasound! Nate was saying all day how pale I looked, she said I looked great! What about the near fainting and dizziness I was experiencing? You are just going to diagnose me off of a URINE sample? "but you DO have a UTI..." she says. (rolling my eyes) Seriously, Nate was ready to drive me down to Fairfax at the hospital ER he used to work in. He was so upset about how they treated me. I did, after some insistence get some labs completed and they gave me some fluid...but I will never go into that ER again.

And another reason I couldn't update is because we didn't have internet access most of the week. Our MAC ate our internet card and since it was still under warranty we had to mail away for a new one.

In other wonderful news my attorney got the paperwork from the court to have Randy served. I was hoping to have his served while I had Ty, but apparently they haven't caught up with him yet. I don't think he's dodging them since he doens't know this is coming. But, we will see.

I am very nervous and anxious about this whole situation. Part of me wonders if he even has any money to fight this battle.


Today is my last day of work until April 11th. Sunday I have my prep for my colonoscopy, so I can't work then and then monday is the procedure and then thursday I have my laproscopy with Dr. B. I am so ready to have both of these done. This intermittin bleeding from my rear is getting OLD quick and I have been so tired and bloated and tired, and did I say tired? I went to bed at 9am last night and this was after sleeping the whole night before and I took a nap while Ty was in preschool. That's the way its been for me the past several weeks. I do whatever I can just to get by, I feel like my house is a mess, Nate has been keeping up with the laundry (thank God) and I haven't been making anything decent for dinner either. My poor family.


But I am looking forward to the time off. It stinks that I won't be paid, but I guess I can't expect too much when I am not working, you know?

My MIL's birthday is the first weekend in April and we are going to get a hotel room in Baltimore by the Harbor on thursday and spend the day friday down there and then travel to VA until sunday night to celebrate her birthday. We were supposed to take a nice trip, but that fell thru with Nate's surgery. Healthy bunch we are.

So, now I just need to make it through the day and I'm all set, for tomorrow anyway.

No comments: