Sunday, March 2, 2008

34 Hour Shift...

I got a call last night from my boss asking me to come in early because a co worker was ill and needed to go home. So I came into work at 9pm last night. Nothing like a 34 hour shift. So between the meeting during the week, my weekly hours racked up to 60. Not too shabby for someone with only weekend availability, eh?

Nate ended up coming into the station for me to change his packing and dressing on his wound. I couldn't keep coming home during my shifts, so yesterday during the day Nate and I took a "test drive" to see if he could manage driving since it's still incredibly painful for him to sit, let alone manage a stick shift and drive okay. He did well, I mean, it's great that we live 3 miles from the station because if we didn't, I don't think he would be okay. So he will be coming back later this afternoon for me to do it again.

We have a follow up appointment with the surgeon on Wednsday. We'll see what he says. I seriously doubt that employee health at the hospital will let him return to work with gauze stuffed in his backside. And I don't think he's ready to return to work anyway. He can go several hours without taking pain meds, but he isn't up walking around and bending over and lifting for 12 hours straight either.

But anyway, I am glad that I came in early...we didn't have any calls over the night, so I basically got paid overtime to sleep which is awesome.

I can't wait to get Ty back tomorrow. He sounds better on the phone. I know this sounds mean, but at lease he didn't get sick with me and I can have him when he is well. Randy said that the first 2 days he had him he was throwing up and miserable and then Randy works today, so he won't be with him at all, Chip will be with him to enjoy this time, and then Ty comes back to me tomorrow.

You know, every time I called Randy he wasn't home with Ty. Ty was either with his parents or brother because he had something more pressing to do. Last night he was driving his girlfriend home. Nice. So he complains about gas money with driving TY to school, but he can drive his girlfriend back to DC and back when his son is sick. Whatever. I guess it's all in your priorities.

So anyway, I'm here. Working. Until 7am tomorrow.

Living the dream: Work work work all day long. It's not so bad, as long as no one calls 911.

No comments: