Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A door closes and a window opens...

SO I picked Ty up from preschool today, but before I did I went to a local country club to pick up an application for a server position. I figured I would fill it out, dress nicer tomorrow and return it then. After I picked Ty us I took him to the park for over an hour and then I plopped him in the car for the 20 minute ride to another country club so i could pick up another application and do the same, return it tomorrow...

SO I walk in and get an application...the receptionist asked me if I was going to stay there and fill it out and I gestured to the way I look and I told her that I would be returning it tomorrow. Well, we went to leave and Ty sat in his seat in the car perfectly so I asked him if he would mind me filling it out and leaving it there right then. I knew I was pushing my time with him and he said he didn't mind so I filled it out. I even pulled my car up front in the circle of the valet area to run in and drop it off...but Ty said he wanted to come back inside with me...so we went.

I walked up the the reception area and the woman was like..."oh let me call Barb and tell her that you are here." I was like "NO!" I am not dressed to meet anyone in management that might have a hand in hiring me. Well, Bard turns the corner and the receptionist was like..."Barb! This woman just filled out an application..." I was mortified.

But she didn't seem to care after I apologized profusely about the way I looked and the fact that I had my son with me. We spoke for a few minutes and asked me if I would take a drug test and then the next thing I knew I was signing tax forms and was handed an employee manual. The BEST thing of all of this is my base pay is only ONE DOLLAR less then what I am making now! Plus I will get tips from the tables I have. I have to wear a tuxedo shirt and pants, but that's okay. They also dictate how I can and can't speak to the members...for example, if someone asks me for something before I offer it, instead of responding with "okay" or "of course" or anything like that I will HAVE to say, "it would be my pleasure" There is a whole list of "proper responses" that I have to "learn." So we'll see how it goes.

Nate has been talking a LOT about moving. Apparently he has even researched hospitals in the Tampa area that he would want to visit and research harder. He even seemed to research what they would offer if he transferred. Sign on bonus, relocation money, housing stipend, the works. To me I feel like this is a very positive sign. I am so used to people talking about doing things, but when Nate talks, he acts. I can't wait to move.

No comments: