Sunday, June 1, 2008

Oh yeah, it's time to go...

Have you ever made a decision, or have had a decision made for you and finally by the time everything is coming to a close you have signs pointing directly to you that it was in fact the time to move on? Well, I am having one of those days today.

It's my last day as a full time employee with the company. I will stay on the roster for an "as needed" employee...but today is the day that if it wasn't my last before I started the day, it probably would have been anyway.

I have had a horrible day. You know, it's funny...when I started orientation with the company I was going through the orientation paperwork with procedures on how to do things on certain types of calls. One section caught my eye...and it was the cardiac arrest procedure. I ever verbalized that even though I had been an EMT for years before I have never had to deal with a DOA (dead on arrival) or a cardiac arrest. And no sooner I said that, our pagers went off for a cardiac arrest.

I don't know why age necessarily makes a difference, but with the probably 100 or so DOA's or arrests that I have been on with this job it doesn't seem to matter so much when they are 90 years old, their spouse that they were with for 50 years dies back in 1980...you know, it's almost like it's their time. But then there is the other extreme.

Fast forward to today, Sunday's aren't typically busy, so I just came back from what might be the last call I run with the company as a full time employee. A one month old cardiac arrest. Man I am so ready to leave this place.

No comments: