Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Night in Nokesville

Nathanael and I are brave souls. We both worked friday night into saturday morning and came home to sleep for a brief period of time and then ventured to his home town of Nokesville, about 2 1/2 hours away. We ended up having dinner with his parents. His mother is a fabulous cook, so I certainly don't mind that.

We discussed where we would be traveling to for his mother's 50th birthday. We have been discussing this topic pretty much ever since Nate and I have known each other. But now it's pretty much getting down to the wire with making decisions since her birthday is in early April. Sometimes I seriously question my mental status becuase the other day on the phone when I was talking with Linda about the topic of her birthday I seriously screwed up because I didn't know when her birthday was exactly in the month of April. So, when I asked her when it was and she answered..."it's the 5th." I followed that up with..."huh, for some reason the 10th was standing out to me." She was silent for a moment and then said..."Stacey, um...the 10th is your anniversary." Wow. Yes, it sure is. My first wedding anniversary. Ooookay. So moving on...

Back to last night...

Linda has narrowed her choices down to St. Martin and Jamaica when we got there. She had Nate's old book about the Carribean and this is what she chose. After discussing this a bit Jamaica went out of the line up. St. Martin was too expensive after some research, and then she says..." Well I would love to go to Bora Bora...how much does that cost?" I know she wasn't entirely serious, and how fun it would be just to dream...so we looked up JUST airfare. Go ahead, take a guess how much. Airfare from Los Angeles to Bora Bora (It's right around Tahiti...in the South Pacific) You can fly there for the bargain price of $3,400. And no, that it not a typo. It's over three thousand dollars. So the short answer on that one is...Bora Bora is out.

We'll see where we end up. I just sent away for my new passport. What a cluster it was going to Fiji with the one I had. It had my maiden name on it...so, when Nate made the arrangements he made them in my married name of Fox...so my maiden name was on my passport...Fox was on the itineraries, and then by the time we went I had changed my ID to my current married name of Tucker...so, needless to say, checking into the airlines was interesting. I felt like I was in an episode of national lampoons goes to the south pacific.

"May I help you..."
"Yes we would like to check in for our flight..."
Nate goes first, no problem...his name has never changed.
Then it was my turn...
"Ma'am..."
"Oh, yes...here is my ticket...it says Fox. And here is my passport, it says Lichtenthal....but I have been remarried since so here is my ID that says Tucker. But I have the divorce decree that states that my name was Fox at one point, as it was when the reservations were made. And here is my current marriage certificate showing that I am, in fact, legally a Tucker now and is lists that my maiden name was Lichtenthal as it is on my passport."

Mmm, hmmmm...I wonder what the manifest stated as to what my name was at the time of departure. Well I suppose it doens't matter anyway.

Yeah, so I don't want to go through THAT again.

But after discussing this trip to come for a while we put the decision ultimatley in the hands of Linda since it is her birthday. I just don't know what I will be doing with Ty. Depending on where we end up going and when will determine if I take him or not.

We ended up leaving virginia around 10:30...which put us home after midnight and I had to be up for work at 6am for my 24 hour shift. Like I said...we were brave. And Nate had to drive home after being up all night the night before and only getting about 4 hours of sleep. But we made it home with no problems. I had trouble falling asleep in the car. Usually I don't have that problem, but last night marked the second day of my monthly visitor and the cramps that I was experiencing were horrible. I swear I caught Nate singing during the drive, but he flat out denies it. I don't believe him. He's so sweet.

Living the dream: Take me anywhere with a beach, I don't care.

No comments: